Thursday, October 2, 2008

A new start - see things through my eyes

I have been traveling during September and during my travels I draw. I draw other times too but I have a series of drawings from airports I would like to share with you.



One of my flights was through Philadelphia, as seen on the left.







Since I traveled through Charlotte NC I have a few drawings from that airport. Bill Whitaker, see www (dot) williamwhitaker (dot) com, said that all we are doing is recording the effects of light on the surface of objects. The light on airplane hulls does beautiful things.





So, to all my scouts and friends who have encouraged me, I hope you will enjoy my drawings as much as I have enjoyed creating them. If you really want to have a great adventure read Danny Gregory's "A Creative License". Danny teaches you how to draw and then gently leads you along as you do your first drawings. You will learn how to make an illustrated journal and in the process you will change the way you look at everything around you.

The drawing to the right was some very tasty spumoni ice cream at the Napolli II restaurant in the Shakespeare section of the Montgomery area. Sometimes the lines do not connect up the way they should. Oh well. I enjoyed the spumoni anyway.













The last week of August I was in Chicago IL. This is a drawing of the Downtown Marriott's lobby. It is a very open and airy expanse. I sat in the restaurant on the 2nd floor and drew while I had dinner. This was the evening Bill Clinton addressed the Democrats' convention.

I had to draw this twice. The first time was less successful. Such is drawing - not every drawing is suitable for presentation. The drawings that are less than successful are the ones that teach you. With each successive drawing you become more familiar with your subject and you see more details and little things you missed in the previous drawings. I draw to see clearly.

1 comment:

NanaLinda said...

John---these are great drawings! Keep it up.

A few of the photos look stylized like you have done some watercoloring over the top of them. Did you? I like the effect, whatever it is (mostly the cityscape pics I'm referring to I think).

Kudos!

Linda Hite